- Student (College)
Education Week, the leading source of independent, hard-hitting news and information on the education world, is seeking a Development Intern.
About Education Week
Education Week (www.edweek.org), America’s most trusted source of K-12 education news, analysis, and opinion, is a digital-first news operation with a nearly 40-year track record in print and online journalism that is dedicated to raising the level of awareness and understanding among professionals and the public of important issues in American education. Education Week’s serves the nation’s leading K-12 policymakers, educators, researchers, marketers, and other influencers with informed, independent, and highly respected journalism and research, with the goal of improving U.S. K-12 education.
The Development Intern will support Education Week’s Development Director and Vice President with a full range of fundraising initiatives. Those that excel in this position will be highly motivated, interested in expanding their skill sets relating to fundraising, nonprofit management, communications, and marketing, and excited by the opportunity to help support the mission of an industry-leading nonprofit media company.
This paid internship ($15.00 per hour) requires a commitment of 20-24 hours per week and is currently a fully remote position May 2022 - December 2022. Strong consideration will be given to candidates able to commit to the position beyond December 2022 (May 2022 through the end of May 2023).
- Play a key role in researching fundraising prospects to diversify Education Week’s grant revenue
- Support in identifying key contacts and developing outreach to fundraising prospects
- Assist in building databases and processes to track prospects and funding opportunities
- Play a supporting role in grant administration, writing, and reporting
- Assist in the creation of emails and marketing materials
- Support with analyzing and monitoring funder engagement
- Support in cleaning and maintaining Grantmaker management system
- Draft, proofread, and edit key development documents including presentations and concepts
- Work on special projects as applicable that will support the advancement of fundraising goals
- Bachelor’s Degree, or in process of obtaining, 0-1-year of related experience
- Basic knowledge or interest in the field of nonprofit fundraising and development
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Ability to embrace and learn new technologies (Preferred knowledge and understanding of database systems)
- Detail-oriented, deadline-focused, and able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to work independently with some supervision, good time management, organizational and prioritization skills
Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, Salesforce and Foundation Directory Online is preferred, as well as previous fundraising experience.
Benefits and Perks
Education Week is a vibrant workplace that is conveniently located in the heart of downtown Bethesda, MD. We are within short walking distance of numerous restaurants and shops, the Metro, and are adjacent to The Capital Crescent Trail. At EdWeek we encourage innovation, leadership, and forward-thinking, and provide a friendly, intellectual, challenging work environment where employees can thrive and grow professionally.
Education Week strongly values equity and believes in a society where all children have access to high quality K-12 education. As such, Education Week is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, skin color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or parenthood. EdWeek is committed to maintaining a diverse and multicultural working environment. If you feel comfortable doing so, please feel free to note which pronouns you use in your application (for example - she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, ze/zir/zirs, etc.)
Education Week will not be able to sponsor applicants for work visas.