Accounts Receivable/Accounts Payable Specialist
- Bethesda, MD
- Full Time
- Education Week
- Entry Level
Education Week is seeking a A/R A/P Specialist to join our Accounting team.
About Education Week
Education Week (www.edweek.org), America’s most trusted source of K-12 education news, analysis, and opinion, is a digital-first news operation that is dedicated to raising the level of awareness and understanding among professionals and the public of important issues in American education. We are expert. We are principled. We are welcoming. We are passionate. A leading authority in an ever-evolving space, we bring four decades of experience to our journalism and research without bias or agenda. We offer services that create real impact, providing accessible content and resources that ignite conversations and spark action across the K-12 ecosystem. At Education Week, we believe that an equitable—and excellent—education for all students is possible, and we empower the field to make it a reality.
Education Week’s parent company, Editorial Projects in Education (EPE), is a non-profit media organization that serves the nation’s leading K-12 policymakers, educators, researchers, marketers and other influencers with informed, independent, and highly respected journalism and research, with the goal of improving U.S. K-12 education.
The A/R A/P Specialist is responsible for producing accurate customer invoices and payment records, applying payments to correct receivable account, and maintaining collections documentation on delinquent accounts. The A/R A/P Specialist is also responsible for processing the accounts payable, maintaining the integrity of the Accounts Payable sub-ledger, reviewing and recording vendor invoices, preparing checks and maintaining appropriate files.
- Prepare customer invoices and maintain supporting documentation related to each invoice
- E-mail customer invoices per client specifications
- Process credit memos and other billing adjustments, credit card payments and/or refunds, per company policy
- Apply customer payments to correct account
- Perform virtual data entry into online invoicing/payment system
- Review accounts receivable records in A/R system to ensure accuracy
- Prepare detailed reports for the Accounting Manager with monthly account collections analysis of past due accounts
- Work with Accounting Manager to analyze delinquent account records to determine appropriate and cost-effective collection approach
- Contact delinquent accounts to request payment
- Maintain complete, accurate, and current collection files
- prepare, and/or provide requested documentation to auditors
- Develop and maintain communication in a cooperative and professional manner with all levels of staff and customers
Responsibilities – Accounts Payable
- Reviews and records all vendor invoices and check requests
- Prepares annual 1099 forms for vendors
- Prepares documentation and responds to requests during annual audit
- Responsible for tax exempt certificate renewal
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, (1-2 years related work experience)
- Detail-oriented, deadline-focused, and able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- PC proficient, including good Excel skills, Word, e-mail, and internet skills
- Understanding of billing and receivable system (Financial Force a plus)
- Ability to work effectively with multiple department managers
- Proven problem-solving skills, research, and record-keeping skills, as well as organizational and time-management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to communicate effectively with clients, vendors, managers, and other employees regarding financial and customer account information
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy in preparing and entering A/R and A/P invoices and payments
- Strong commitment to organization’s mission and organizational policies and procedures
Benefits and Perks
Education Week is a vibrant workplace that is conveniently located in the heart of downtown Bethesda, MD right outside of Washington, DC. We are within short walking distance of numerous restaurants and shops, the Metro, and are adjacent to The Capital Crescent Trail. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package including health and dental insurance, a 401(k), PTO, and tuition assistance. We value innovation, leadership, and forward-thinking, and provide a friendly, intellectual, challenging work environment where employees can thrive and grow professionally.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, most of our staff is still working remotely, but we are beginning to transition staff back to the Bethesda office as conditions allow. Upon reopening, the expectation is that this position will be located and performed in the office. Candidates that live within regular commuting distance to the office or are willing to relocate to the DC/MD/VA area are preferred.
Education Week strongly values equity and believes in a society where all children have access to high quality K-12 education. As such, Education Week is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, skin color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or parenthood. EdWeek is committed to maintaining a diverse and multicultural working environment.
If you feel comfortable doing so, please feel free to note which pronouns you use in your application (for example - she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, ze/zir/zirs, etc.)
Education Week will not be able to sponsor applicants for work visas.
Click here to apply.