Contract Video Producer
- Bethesda, MD
- Entry Level
Education Week, the nation’s premier news organization covering K-12 education, is looking for a versatile and creative contract video producer/editor to support a talented team of visual storytellers.
About Education Week
Education Week (www.edweek.org), America’s most trusted source of K-12 education news, analysis, and opinion, is a digital-first news operation with a 40-year track record in print and online journalism that is dedicated to raising the level of awareness and understanding among professionals and the public of important issues in American education. We are expert. We are principled. We are welcoming. We are passionate. A leading authority in an ever-evolving space, we bring nearly four decades of experience to our journalism and research without bias or agenda. We offer services that create real impact, providing accessible content and resources that ignite conversations and spark action across the K-12 ecosystem.
Education Week’s parent company, Editorial Projects in Education (EPE), is a non-profit media organization that serves the nation’s leading K-12 policymakers, educators, researchers, marketers, and other influencers with informed, independent, and highly respected journalism and research, with the goal of improving U.S. K-12 education.
The Video Producer is a member of the Visual and Immersive Experiences team that is responsible for helping to research, conceptualize, plan, shoot, edit, and produce video for multiple platforms, including digital and social, that reflects EdWeek’s expertise and content standards. Under the direction of the Visuals Editor, the video producer will work alongside other producers, as well as other staff and visual colleagues to create content for multiple platforms. The ideal candidate will efficiently manage their time while working on multiple projects and be able to bounce nimbly between them. They’ll be able to put their storytelling and research skills to work one day on a longer-term piece, while spending the next day reacting to the news of the day to produce a quick turnaround package that meet the needs of the audience.
This is a full-time, contract position and the term of the contract is flexible. Pay is commensurate with experience.
- Provide support to the video team at large
- Help conceptualize, plan, shoot, edit, and produce video for multiple platforms
- Craft creative video explainers that meet audience needs and incorporate both graphics and video
- Plan assignment coverage with reporters and editors
- Hire, coordinate (“produce”), and negotiate freelance assignments with videographers
- Work with the web and social media teams to distribute and promote our videos across platforms
- Bachelor’s degree
- 1-3 years related experience in a fast-paced news/media/information or video production environment
- Proficiency in Adobe Premiere and After Effects
- Excellent news judgment, strong story sense and the ability to write, edit and produce content
- Great attention to detail and ability to perform duties under deadlines
- Comfortable doing extensive video research to find and develop stories
- Ability to produce content to a high technical and ethical standard
- Advanced grasp of time management and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Interested in all forms of visual journalism – from video and photography to still and motion graphics
- Great communicator, comfortable working with colleagues on team and across company
- Working knowledge of the best types of video for different social media platforms
Education Week is a vibrant workplace that is conveniently located in the heart of downtown Bethesda, MD. We are within short walking distance of numerous restaurants and shops, the Metro, and are adjacent to The Capital Crescent Trail. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, most of our staff is still working remotely, but we are beginning to transition staff back to the Bethesda office as conditions allow. Full vaccination is required for those working in the office, and you must be able to provide proof of vaccination. We value innovation, leadership, and forward-thinking, and provide a friendly, intellectual, challenging work environment.
Education Week strongly values equity and believes in a society where all children have access to high quality K-12 education. As such, Education Week is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, skin color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or parenthood. EdWeek is committed to maintaining a diverse and multicultural working environment.
If you feel comfortable doing so, please feel free to note which pronouns you use in your application (for example - she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, ze/zir/zirs, etc.).